Technology, Process and Cost
Automotive Low-Voltage Si MOSFET Comparison 2022
By Yole SystemPlus —
24 AEC-Q101 40-100V Si MOSFETs from: Infineon, onsemi, STMicroelectronics, Toshiba, Nexperia, ROHM, Diodes Inc., Taiwan Semiconductor, Vishay, Renesas, and AOS.
New environmental regulations targeting carbon neutrality by 2050 from most governments play in favor of faster vehicle electrification. According to Yole Développement, xEV will represent about 50% of the passenger car and light commercial vehicle market by 2027.
Power electronics is a key technology enabler for this transition. Power semiconductors of various voltage ranges can be found in any EV for different power converters. Even low-voltage MOSFETs are already present in petrol-powered cars, and the growing demand for all electrification types increases the need for LV MOSFET for DC/DC conversion from 48-12 V or 400-12 V. Moreover, additional infotainment and communication will also favor the automotive-qualified MOSFET market.
Silicon MOSFETs benefit from mature infrastructure and processes. Meanwhile, new device generations are coming to market. In addition to performance improvements, Si MOSFET die costs will be further reduced thanks to a 12-inch silicon wafer transition that will make their cost increasingly competitive.
The technical panorama of Si MOSFET devices varies in terms of voltage and design choices. Manufacturers propose different approaches for device design, depending on the targeted electrical performance. Most players have adopted a shielded-gate trench structure for their MOSFET design.
In this report, System Plus Consulting presents an overview of the state-of-the-art of 24 automotive-qualified AEC-Q101 Si MOSFETs from four voltage classes: 40 V, 50 V, 60 V, and 100 V. These are from 11 manufacturers: Infineon, onsemi, STMicroelectronics, Toshiba, Nexperia, Rohm, Diodes Incorporated, Taiwan Semiconductor, Vishay, Renesas, and Alpha and Omega Semiconductor (AOS).
Compared to last year’s “SPR21582 – Automotive LV Si MOSFET Comparison 2021” report, 13 new devices have been added. Detailed physical analysis images are only provided for these new devices (please refer to our 2021 report for detailed photos of previous devices), but technology and cost data are detailed for all 24 devices.
This report highlights the differences in the selected devices’ technology parameters and design, and the impact on production cost.
Also provided are detailed optical and SEM pictures from the device’s opened-package, down to the microscopic level of transistor design. Since the focus of this report is on chip technology, the devices are analyzed and costs are simulated at wafer and die levels.
Lastly, this report provides exhaustive physical, technological, and manufacturing cost comparisons of the analyzed devices for the different voltage classes.
Overview / Introduction
- Executive summary
- Reverse costing methodology
Technology & Market
- Market overview
- Si MOSFET technology designs
- Diodes Incorporated
- Taiwan Semiconductor
- Vishay Intertechnology
- Alpha & Omega Semiconductor (AOS)
- 40V MOSFETs
- 50V MOSFETs
- 60V MOSFETs
- 100V MOSFETs
Technology and Physical Comparison
- Device performance comparisons (FOM Rdson*Qg, Specific resistance, current density)
- Device design comparisons
- Physical parameters trends
Manufacturing Process Flow
- Supply chain of all analyzed manufacturers with wafer sizes
- Wafer fabrication unit hypotheses for all analyzed manufacturers
- Detailed manufacturing process flow schematics of selected MOSFET process
Cost and Price Analysis
- Yields explanation & hypotheses
- For each of the 24 MOSFETs
- Front-End Wafer cost
- Wafer probe test and dicing costs
- Die cost and price
- Die Ampere costs ($/A)
- Comparisons include wafer breakdown and die Ampere costs for each voltage class.
System Plus Consulting Services
Product’s key features:
- Detailed optical and SEM photos
- Precise dimensional measurements
- Manufacturing process flow of selected technology
- Supply chain evaluation
- Wafer and die manufacturing cost analysis
- Estimated bare die selling price
- Comparisons of technology design parameters and electric performances, including figures of merit, current density, etc
- Comparisons of cost, including wafer cost, die cost, and die cost per ampere
Available on our Yole Group All-Inclusive Automotive Package
Do you have an account?
Sign in to your account to access your services