Market and Technology Trends
Biometrics for Consumer 2022
By Yole Intelligence —
The consumer biometrics market will reach $11B in 2027 boosted by SWIR under-display face recognition and optical TFT for full-screen fingerprint sensing
Scope of the report – technologies
Methodologies & definition
Yole SystemPlus – Tracks
About the authors
What we got right, what we got wrong
- What are consumer biometry solutions?
- What is the current situation in the consumer market?
- Definitions of modules and biometry solution
- Biometrics for consumer – market forecasts
- Fingerprint sensors – market forecasts
- Face recognition – market forecasts
- Voice recognition – market forecasts
- Iris recognition – market forecasts
- Values generated, by function
- Biometry wafer-start – analysis
- Smartphone biometry waves and associated revenues
- Smartphones – market trends
- Personal electronics – market trends
- Tablets – market trends
- Laptops – market trends
- Smart home – market trends
- Voice biometry in smart speakers
- Smart door locks – market trends
- Trends for other end-systems
- Smart cards – market trends
- Smart USB dongles – market trends
- Smart mirrors – market trends
Market share & supply chain
- Capacitive fingerprint sensor – supply chain analysis
- Under-display fingerprint sensor – supply chain analysis
- Fingerprint sensors – market share
- Face recognition – supply chain analysis
- Voice recognition – supply chain analysis
- Voice biometry – market share
- Iris recognition – supply chain analysis
- Fingerprint sensors
- Capacitive fingerprint sensing
- Under-display fingerprint sensing
- Under-display –– technology analysis
- Optical TFT
- Face recognition
- Under-display facial recognition for biometrics
- ASP estimation for SWIR facial recognition modules
- Components roadmap
- 3D-sensing – technology trends
- Voice recognition
- Increasing performance for both the hardware…
- And software...
- Iris recognition
- Iris recognition for smartphones
- Conclusion & limitations of iris scanning
- Biometry solutions comparison
- Future technologies comparison
- Secured storage process
- Shift to integrated secure element
- Secure element – associated revenues
Conclusions and outlook
Yole Group – related reports
About Yole Group
II-VI, Aculab, ADH-Tech, Amkor, Apple, Aratek, Artilux, AUO, BBVA, BNP Paribas, BOE, Bose, Chipone, Crédit Agricole, CrucialTec, Egistec, Elan Microelectronics, Facebook, Fingerprints Card, FocalTech, Fortsense, Fujifilm, GigaDevice, Gingytech, Goermicro, Goldpac, Goodix, Google, GSEO, Holst Center, HONOR, Huawei, IDEX, Infineon, ISORG, Jiiov, Knowles Electronics, Lenovo, LG Innotek, Lumentum, Mastercard, NextBiometrics, O-Film, Omnivision, Oppo, OSRAM, Precise Biometrics, Qualcomm, Realme, Samsung, Schott, Sensory, SMIC, Sonos, Soitec, Sony, STMicroelectronics, Sunny Optical Technology, Synaptics Validity, TCL CSOT, Texas Instrument, Thalès, Tianma, Touch Biometrix, TSMC, Tyrafos Group, Viavi, Visa, Vivo, VKANSEE, Xiaomi and more
Overview of the market
In 2021, the overall biometry for consumer market reached $6.2B. It is expected to reach almost $11B in 2027 with a 10% Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR21-27). The growth will globally be driven by the need for secured phones where data is getting increasingly centralized, laptops with sensitive files, and secure homes.
The fingerprint sensor (FPS) market will keep growing thanks to ever-increasing penetration in smartphones, along with other end-systems like laptops, tablets, and smart door locks. Moreover, with the replacement of traditional capacitive technology by under-display solutions, revenues will grow with a 13% CAGR21-27. With all Android players shifting back to fingerprint biometrics, only Apple kept using face recognition in 2021. However, we expect Android players to return to face recognition solutions, leading to a $7B market in 2027. With increasing performance from hardware and software/audio processing, the attachment rate of MEMS microphones in smart speakers featuring voice biometry will decrease. And combined with price erosion, revenues will decrease with a -3% CAGR21-27. The iris scanning market vanished back in 2019, when Samsung stopped integrating scanners into its smartphones. However, we expect the market to reach $50M in 2027 thanks to new end-systems featuring iris scanning.
A race to the top for biometric technologies
Today, the smartphone market is saturated. Yet the long-term share distribution will depend on coming technology, and the added value it provides to end-users.
Hence, the future of the biometry industry will depend on the outcome of the battle between under-display FPS and face recognition.
Under-display sensors already maximize screen-to-body ratio. The general industry is now pushing to develop full-screen FPSs as they improve accuracy and provide extra-functionalities to the phone along with multi-fingerprint sensing. It will be difficult to design full-screen fingerprint sensors based on optical CMOS technologies. Therefore, we expect new technologies like optical Thin Film Transistors (TFT) to be reliable and cost-effective solutions.
For face recognition, we believe 3D sensors will be integrated under the display in the future to survive the screen-to-body ratio trend. To do so, a major transformation of the industry could take place, shifting the infrared (IR) wavelength from near IR (NIR) to short wavelength IR (SWIR). Hence, there is a need to develop SWIR imagers with different technologies available, including InGaAs, SiGe, quantum dots, and organic photodetectors (OPDs).
Thousands of stakeholders involved in the biometric industry
Thanks to the different technologies involved in the biometry market, there is a broad range of stakeholders.
For emitting components, players like II-VI, OSRAM and Lumentum supply Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Lasers (VCSELs) and Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs). For receiving components, it will depend on the biometry solution. For example, capacitive FPSs are supplied by players like Fingerprint Cards, Goodix, Synaptics or Apple. Image sensors can be dedicated to under-display optical FPSs with Goodix and Egis being the main players. NIR global shutter imagers are manufactured by STMicroelectronics for Apple’s Face ID. And regarding voice biometry, Goermicro and Knowles are the main stakeholders involved in the market.
Considering what is in stake, we expect the third biometry wave to shake up the industry and let new players with disruptive technologies enter.
- Market forecasts for all four biometric solutions, fingerprint, face, voice, and iris, in Munits and $M, along with the breakdown by end-system, through 2027
- Values generated by function and wafer-start forecasts up to 2027
- Market trends by end-system
- Biometrics ecosystem and supply chain analysis
- Technology trends by biometric solution, capacitive and under-display fingerprint sensing, SWIR face recognition, voice audio processing, iris technology, along with secure storage trends
- Updated market data and forecasts in $ and units for the period 2018-2027 along with a new wafer-start analysis
- Updated market trends for each end-system
- Calendar-year 2021 estimates for sensor and/or components manufacturers market shares and their associated supply chains
- Technology trends with a focus on under-display fingerprint sensors and face recognition modules using SWIR technologies
- Overview of the secure storage technology trends, along with the associated revenues
This report is an update of Yole Intelligence’s “Biometrics for Consumer 2018” report and provides:
- The latest updates on fingerprint, face, voice and iris solutions shipments and revenues from 2018 to 2027
- Detailed analysis of the supply chain structure, values generated and wafer-start analysis for each biometry technology and security chips.
- Comprehensive overview of the market trends for each end-system and new disruptive use-cases for biometry.
- An in-depth analysis of future innovations and technology trends taking place in the biometry market.
This report thoroughly summarizes the 2021 biometry industry status, taking the trends for each biometry solution into account.