Market and Technology Trends
Power Integrated Circuit 2017 - Quarterly Update Q4, 2017
By Yole Intelligence —
Power ICs reached $17.3B US dollars in 2017
Power IC quarterly update Q4-2017 (PDF)
- Chapter 1: Executive summary and commentary of power ICs forecast
- Chapter 2: Executive summary of power ICs market share in 2016
- Chapter 3: Definitions
- Chapter 4: Yole Developpement corporate pesentation
Power ICs quarterly update forecast Q4-2017
- Annual revenue forecast by end market
- Annual growth rate forecast by end market
- Quarterly revenue forecast by end market
- Quarterly growth rate forecast by end market
- Annual revenue forecast by component
- Annual growth rate forecast by component
- Annual unit shipment forecast by end market
- Annual revenue forecast by end market
- Annual revenue forecast by component
Power ICs Quarterly Update Market Share Q4-2017
- Linear regulator market share
- Switching regulator/Controller market share
- Voltage reference market share
- Voltage supervisors and controllers market share
- Power over ethernet controller market share
- Hot swap controller market share
- Power factor correction controller market share
- Battery banagement ICs market share
- Multi-channel power management ICs (PMICs) market share
- Quarterly market share estimates
WHAT ABOUT THE QUARTERLY UPDATE?
A full package:
- Power ICs Forecast – Updated quarterly and available in Excel
- 2016 Power ICs Market Share – Available in Excel
- Power ICs Quarterly Update Executive Summary – a 30-50 page PowerPoint executive summary available in PDF format.
Frequency: Receive every quarter the full package
- Single offer: Receive the full package related to the selected quarter
- Bundle offer: Receive the full package related to the 4 quarters of the year
POWER MANAGEMENT ICs GREW AS KEY END APPLICATION MARKET EXPAND
Yole Développement forecasts Power ICs will enefit from multiple key end markets to deliver a 4.1% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2017-2022, in line with the general health of the overall semiconductor industry. The power IC market revenue, has been about $17.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2017, and it is forecast to reach $21.17 billion U.S. dollars in 2022.
In the power IC quar terly update, Yole Développement examines the entire semiconductor industrial as five major application end markets: automotive, communications, computing, consumer, and industrial. Even though there are common quarterly growth trends amongst these five major markets such as seasonality impacted by consumer behavior, the growth rate between them are largely independent from one another. As a result, it is crucial to understand the growth and decline of each end market individually for power IC suppliers. In thequarterly update, Yole Développement provide the consolidated tracking information for these five major end markets and provide quarterly forecasts from Q4-2017 to Q4-2018. Furthermore, each of the major end markets are divided into sub market segments. There are a total of more than 40 sub application segments in the annual forecast period of 2017-2022.
|Major Application Market||Application Sub=Market|
|Automotive||Body & Convenience
Chassis & Safety: ADAS
Chassis & Safety: Other
|Communications||Carrier Ethernet Switches & Routers
Communication Battery Charger
Enterprise Ethernet Switches & Routers
Low-Tier Consumer/SOHO Routers
|Computing||Computing Battery Charger
Flat Panel Monitors
|Consumer||Digital Set Top Boxes
Digital Still Cameras
Home Audio System Components
Other Home Appliances
Building & Home Control
Military & Civil Aerospace
Power & Energy
Security & Video Surveillance
Test & Measurement
IN THE VOLATILE POWER IC MARKET, UNDERSTANDING THE APPLICATIONS MARKET AND THEIR IMPACT ON COMPONENT GROWTH ON A QUARTERLY BASIS IS ESSENTIAL
In additional to the end market impact on component growth rate, design approaches and device penetrations rates can also affect the component growth rates.
Linear Regulators are the simplest of power converter ICs that use a non-switching circuit (typically a variable resistor or divider network) to provide voltage conversion. If the input and output voltage differs less than 0.7V, they are classified as Low Drop-Out (LDO) voltage regulators. Linear regulators have higher losses and heat generation. However, due to the lack of a switching circuit, linear regulators are favorable in noise sensitive applications.
Switching regulators replaces variable resistance of a control transistor with a switch that is either fully on or completely off. The output is determined by the topology and the duty cycle of the power switch. Switching regulators are the preferred design choice for high efficiency power conversions.
Voltage reference integrated circuits provide a constant voltage within a system irrespective of variations in output current or input voltage.
Battery management ICs are devices that source and management the batteries in portable applications, typical products include battery chargers, monitors, gauges, protection, and authentication.
Other power ICs include all other products used in the conversion, management, and distribution of power but do not fall into any of the categories provided above. For example, multi-channel power management ICs, Power-Over-Ethernet controllers, PFC controller, etc.
Power IC Update provides component growth rate and forecast information for all the major components in the power ICs Market. Both unit shipment and total revenues are provided for the all the component.
|Power IC Main Category||Power IC Sub Components|
|Linear Regulator||Traditional Linear Regulators
|Switching Regulator||AC-DC Switching Regulators
DC-DC Switching Regulators
Isolated Switching Controllers
Non-isolated Switching Controllers
|Voltage References||Voltage Reference IC|
|Supervisors, Sequencers, Switches||Voltage supervisors
Hot swap controller
Other power ICs
|Battery Management ICs||Battery Charging ICs|
|Other Power Management||Power Over Ethernet Controllers
Power Factor Correction Controllers
Multi-channel Power Management ICs
Multi-chip Power Stage
Single-Chip Power Stage
Hot Swap Controller
Other Power ICs
ANNUAL COMPONENT LEVEL MARKET SHARE ESTIMATES
Lastly, Power IC update provides component level market share estimates for all the components in table-2 once a year to provide a comprehensive understanding of the competitive environment for power IC suppliers.
Several power IC markets are consolidated between the top players. For example, in multi-channel power management ICs (PMICs), Dialog, Qualcomm, and Maxim dominated the mobile smartphone market with commanding market shares. Other components may offer better opportunities for growth. The power IC quarterly update will provide component level market share information to gain understanding of the main competitors for any segments.
Yole ranks the following companies by their component revenues rounded to the nearest million.
Alpha and Omega Semiconductor, Analog Devices, Dialog Semiconductor, Diodes, Fuji Electric, Infineon Technologies, Intersil, IXYS, Linear Technology, Lite-On Semiconductor, MagnaChip, Maxim Integrated, MediaTek, Microchip, Microsemi, Monolithic Power Systems, NXP, ON Semiconductor, Panasonic Corporation, Power Integrations, Qualcomm, Renesas Electronics Corporation, Ricoh, ROHM Semiconductor, Samsung, Sanken Electric Company, Semtech, Shindengen, STMicroelectronics, Texas Instruments, Toshiba, Vishay Intertechnology.
KEY FEATURES OF THE UPDATE
- Quarterly update about the power management Integrated Circuits (IC) and their end applications.
- Market size and market share information in US dollars for power ICs
- Revenue forecast for the power IC market for 2017-2022
- Revenue forecast for the power IC market for 2017 Q4 to 2018 Q4
- Key application and sector size breakdown in each of the five key markets: automotive, consumer, computing, communications, industrial
- Market breakdown by type of power management ICs, including switching regulators, controllers, linear regulators, low drop-out regulators, voltage references, supervisors, switches, multichannel power management ICs, and other power Application Specific ICs (ASIC
- End market analysis with detail end market breakdowns
- Market share and market leader information by type of power management ICs
QUARTERLY UPDATE OBJECTIVES
- Access the gate driver market for Power Management ICs including switching regulators, LDOs, Battery Management ICs, Multi-channel Power Management ICs, and other key power ASICs.
- Understand the market dynamics for Power Management IC applications
- Access end market breakdowns for over 40 end markets and over 15 power IC components.
- Provide an overall view of the competitive landscape of the power management IC market