RF GaN Compound Semiconductor Market Monitor
By Yole Intelligence —
RF GaN-on-SiC regains the momentum thanks to 5G base station installation. Meanwhile, a major acquisition has happened in dynamic GaN-on-Si space.
Sumitomo Electric Device Innovations (SEDI), Qorvo, Wolfspeed, NXP, SICC, IQE, Coherent, and more.
- 2022-2028 forecast for RF GaN devices Telecom infrastructure, Defense, Aerospace, Consumer markets (Munits, $M)
- 2022-2028 forecast GaN-on-SiC and GaN-on-Si wafers & Epiwafer for RF GaN devices (Munits, $M)
- RF GaN Market trends, including Split by technology platform GaN on SiC or GaN on Si for MMIC or discrete devices.
- 2028 forecast.
- Update of Telecom infrastructure , Aerospace and Consumer Market.
- NXP company profil.
- Up to date GaN-on-Si ecosystem analysis
- Quarterly update of the data
- Market forecast through 2028 in M$US for devices, wafers and epiwafers and units for wafers and epiwafers for RF GaN
- Market forecast breakdown by technology including discrete, MMIC and wafer type and size
- Market players at device, epiwafer and wafer level for RF GaN including SEDI, Wolfspeed, Qorvo, NXP, SICC, Coherent and from 2019 to present by M$US revenue
- Track supply chain & Fab capacity GaN-on-SiC and GaN-on-Si
About the authors
RF GaN Compound Semiconductor Market Monitor timeline and scope
- Definition of estimated market
- Open and captive market
- Applicative RF electronics market segments
GaN RF Monitor : changes since the previous quarter and what to look out for in the coming quarters
Compound semiconductor-based RF market comparative analysis
- RF devices as a function of power and frequency
- Technological requirements by application
- Device revenue market shares: GaN vs. Silicon
RF GaN market overview
- RF GaN market dynamics
- Open RF GaN epiwafer market dynamics
- RF GaN S.I. SiC wafer market dynamics
- RF GaN device revenue
- Open RF GaN epiwafer revenue
- Open + captive RF GaN epiwafer shipments
- Open RF GaN epiwafer shipments
- RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate revenue
- RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate shipments
- RF GaN epiwafer pricing
- RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate pricing
- Quarterly RF GaN device revenue
- Quarterly RF GaN epiwafer revenue
- Quarterly RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate revenue
RF GaN market forecasts
- RF GaN device revenue by segment
- RF GaN device market shares by segment
- Open RF GaN epiwafer revenue by segment
- Open RF GaN epiwafer market shares by segment
- RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate revenue by segment
- RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate market shares by segment
RF GaN technology
- RF GaN device market by device type
- RF GaN bare die market shares by device type
- RF GaN device revenue by technology platform ($M)
- S.I. SiC substrate development timeline
- RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate revenue by substrate size (by value)
- RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate volume by substrate size
- Open RF GaN epiwafer volume by substrate type
- Open RF GaN epiwafer revenue by substrate size
RF GaN market players
- Supply chain and business model
- Suppliers' capacity
- Sumitomo Electric Device Innovations (SEDI) - RF GaN device revenue
- Qorvo - RF GaN device revenue
- Wolfspeed - RF GaN device revenue
- RF GaN: Fab locations
- IQE - RF GaN epiwafer revenue
- Wolfspeed - RF GaN epiwafer revenue
- Wolfspeed – RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate revenue
- Coherent (renamed from II-VI) – RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate revenue
- SICC– RF GaN S.I. SiC substrate revenue
- Others – RF GaN activities
Terminology and definitions
- Explanation and methodology
- Formulas used
- Terminology at substrate, epitaxy and device level
Yole Group Presentation
5G Telecom infrastructure drives GaN-on-SiC market growth and new opportunities for GaN-on-Si technology.
The 5G Telecom infrastructure market still dominates and drives the Radio Frequency (RF) GaN market. Even if the revenues of leaders such as Qorvo and Wolfspeed have fallen in Q4-22, we are seeing accelerated adoption for GaN-on-SiC RF devices when compared to silicon LDMOS for the telecom infrastructure market, mainly driven by investment in India. New players such as NXP doubled their revenue from 2021 to 2022. We keep track of GaN-on-Si ecosystem changes such as OMMIC’s acquisition by MACOM and the evolution of players such as Infineon, developing its GaN-on-Si platform for RF applications. We expect the RF GaN Market to exceed $2B by 2028, mainly driven by 5G telecom infrastructure.
Driven by 5G Telecom infrastructure, the RF GaN market could exceed $2B by 2028.
For many years, Radio Frequency (RF) GaN has been used for 4G base stations because of its outstanding performance in the power amplifier stage. Meanwhile, defense applications consistently stretch the demand for RF GaN-on-SiC in military radar and electronic warfare systems. However, with the US ban on Huawei, the impact of Covid, and the slowdown in base station deployment, RF GaN faced an adjustment period in 2021. As of 2023, various manufacturers are also accelerating GaN adoption in their systems for the resurgence in 5G deployment. And GaN-on-Si is becoming more mature as illustrated in the partnerships formed and prototypes announced. This will directly influence the industry from 2023 onward. In this monitor we track SEDI, Wolfspeed, Qorvo and NXP at device level, Wolfspeed, IQE Coherent and SICC at wafer and epiwafer level.
Do you have an account?
Sign in to your account to access your services