Technology, Process and Cost
HiSilicon Kirin 9000s SoC in Huawei Mate 60 Pro
By Yole SystemPlus —
Full reverse costing study on technology data, manufacturing cost and selling price of the HiSilicon 9000s SoC in Huawei Mate 60 Pro
- Executive Summary
- Reverse Costing Methodology
- Company Profile
- Google Pixel Series
- Market Analysis
- Smartphone Dismantle
- Packaging Analysis
- DRAM Die
- SoC Die
- SoC Die Package Comparison
- SoC Die Comparison
- Global View
- SoC Die Wafer Fabrication Unit
- SoC Die Front-End
- FO-PLP Packaging Process
- Yields Explanation & Hypotheses
- Front-End Wafer Cost
- SoC Die Cost
- Packaging Cost
- Component Cost
- Definitions of Price
- Estimated Selling Price
About Yole Group
This full reverse costing study was conducted to provide insight regarding the technology data, manufacturing cost, and selling price of the HiSilicon Kirin 9000s SoC.
HiSilicon is a Chinese integrated circuit design house that develops semiconductor chips for Huawei to support a wide range of smart devices. The Kirin series is the flagship model for high-end smartphones. In 2020, HiSilicon announced Kirin 9000 for powering Huawei Mate 40 Series. This chip was manufactured by using TSMC 5nm technology. In 2023, Huawei published Mate 60 Pro smartphone which includes Kirin 9000s SoC as the main processor. Based on the analysis in this report, we confirm that the chip fabrication is different from Kirin 9000 and we assumed that the 9000s SoC die is done by using SMIC N+2 (7 nm) process.
To reveal the details of Kirin 9000s SoC, the report begins with a smartphone teardown of the Huawei Mate 60 Pro. The main board of the smartphone discloses the components around the processor and the LPDDR5 DRAM package integrated on the top of the SoC die package.
Multiple analyses ranging from SoC die FEOL, back-end construction to the assembly are conducted to understand all the technology details and manufacturing. The report shows both the top view and cross-section of the SoC by using optical microscopy, computed tomography scan (CT-scan), scanning electron microscope (SEM) and energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS) to analyze the structure and materials. Moreover, the report presents a complete analysis on SMIC N+2 FinFET by using transmission electron microscopy (TEM). Furthermore, a comparison between Kirin 9000 and 9000s from packaging to SoC die is included. Lastly, this report furnishes a complete cost analysis.
- Detailed photos
- Precise measurements
- Materials analysis
- Manufacturing process flow
- Supply chain evaluation
- Manufacturing cost analysis
- The first SMIC 7nm (N+2) for consumer product
- The first domestic advanced SoC from design to chip manufacturing in China
- Provide technology data, manufacturing cost and selling price.
- Teardown on the main board of Huawei Mate 60 Pro to reveal the components around HiSilicon H9000s chip
- Physical analysis of packaging and processor die by CT-scan, EDX, optical microscope and scanning electron scope
- Physical analysis on SMIC 7nm (N+2) transmission electron microscopy .
- Clear view on the technology and supply chain.
- Provide information of SoC package size, die size and die delayering to reveal the manufacturing and IP architecture.
- Provide information of SoC manufacturing, its supply chain and cost structures.
- Present a comparison of HiSilicon 9000 and HiSilicon 9000s chip from packaging to SoC die for understanding the evolution of Chinese high-end smartphone chip design.