Technology, Process and Cost
Mobile Inertial Sensors Comparison 2021
By Yole SystemPlus —
Focus on IMU in 114 smartphones released since 2019 from the three main manufacturers: STMicroelectronics, InvenSense and Bosch.
Focus on IMU in 114 smartphones released since 2019 from the three main manufacturers: STMicroelectronics, InvenSense, and Bosch.
The MEMS consumer inertial measurement unit (IMU) market is expected to reach $838M in 2026 with a 5% CAGR 2019-2026 according to Yole Développement. This growth will be driven by an increasing attachment rate of MEMS IMUs in smartphones & wearables. Moreover, the increasing replacement of stand-alone MEMS accelerometers and gyroscopes with IMUs will contribute to this growth.
The MEMS inertial sensor market, focused on IMUs in smartphones, is mainly represented by three large manufacturers: STMicroelectronics, InvenSense, and Bosch.
This report provides an overview of MEMS integrated into 114 smartphones released since 2019. Thanks to our sampling, you can see which references are used in which smartphones and understand which manufacturer is integrated in which OEM’s smartphone.
System Plus Consulting has conducted a comparative review of the most common IMU references found in our sampling. We examine the dimensions and internal structures of their packages, MEMS arrays, and application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), as well as their die sizes and cross-sections of packages, to provide a comprehensive review of MEMS inertial sensors in smartphones with a focus on the IMU. A comparison is also made at the IMU manufacturing process level between manufacturer and between the different technologies used by the same manufacturer and integrated in the smartphones of our sampling.
Additionally, this report features a package opening and a MEMS die opening for the components which integrate only a gyroscope or an accelerometer. Lastly, a complete technology and cost analysis is furnished of the most common references found in our sampling, including the MEMS, the ASIC, and the packaging.
Overview / Introduction
- STMicroelectronics, Invensense, Bosch
- Sampling on 114 smartphone since 2019 List
- Supply chain
- Summary of the Physical Analysis
- STMicroelectronics MEMS IMU
- Invensense MEMS IMU
- FY (Apple)
- Others references that integrate only Accelerometer or Gyroscope
- Package & MEMS Opening
Sensor Manufacturing Process
- STMicroelectronics Manufacturing Process
- Invensense Manufacturing Process
- Bosch Manufacturing Process
- Summary of the cost analysis
- Yields Explanation & Hypotheses
- STMicroelectronics reference IMU comparison cost : Sensor Die, ASIC Die, Complete Module
- Invensense reference IMU comparison cost: Sensor Die, ASIC Die, Complete Module
- Bosch reference IMU comparison cost: Sensor Die, ASIC Die, Complete Module
- Cost Comparison between manufacturer
Complete teardown with:
- Package Views and Dimensions
- Package Cross-Sections
- Precise Measurements
- Die Descriptions
- Technology Descriptions
- Manufacturing Process Flow
- Supply Chain Evaluation
- Cost Analysis
- Cost Comparison
- Selling Price
Do you have an account?
Sign in to your account to access your services