Market and Technology Trends
Power SiC 2022
By Yole Intelligence —
The SiC market is anticipating incredible growth, with a new wave of capacity expansion and supply chain integration towards a $6.3B market in 2027
EV keeps driving the SiC market to a multi-billion-dollar business
Strongly driven by automotive applications, especially in the EV main inverter, there were multiple newly released EVs and announcements in 2020 and 2021, following Tesla’s adoption of SiC. Moreover, the record shipment of Tesla helped SiC devices to reach a scales of $1B in 2021. To fulfill the demand for long driving range, 800V EV is the solution to empower fast DC charging. This is where the 1200V SiC devices play important roles. As of 2022, BYD’s Han-EV and Hyundai’s Ioniq-5 have enjoyed good sales by offering the fast-charging feature. More OEMs such as Nio, Xpeng, etc. plan to bring SiC EVs to the market in 2022.. Apart from automotive, industrial and energy applications represent the markets with higher than 20% growth rate in our forecast period. For example, the deployment of high-power charging infrastructure with SiC modules, and the growing installation of photovoltaics. In this context, the SiC device market is expected to grow beyond $6B by 2027 – from a $1B business in 2021 – in Yole’s latest forecast.
Leading players are reshaping the ecosystem
This multi-billion-dollar business is also appealing for players to grow their revenue. Among the top SiC device players, STMicroelectronics and Wolfspeed grew their SiC revenue with a YoY higher than 50% in 2021, aligning with the 57% growth in the global SiC device market. Infineon delivered a 126% growth by entering the main inverter business with the base of industrial applications. onsemi also entered the game with strong growth in 2021. As these companies are growing their SiC to a billion-dollar business, the competition in the coming years can also be identified in the supply chain integration. The IDM business model is chosen by major players, and multiple M&A and partnerships in SiC reshaped the SiC ecosystem in order to secure the wafer supply and to enter the device business to sustain their billion-dollar business objectives in the years to come. The SiC module is the next level for players to compete at, and we have identified new products released to enter automotive, industrial, and energy applications.
Innovation of SiC wafer as of 2022
With SiC wafer as the fundamental of this emerging business, the industry has been working on the supply by expanding wafer capacity. However, there are still many issues to solve in order to have high-quality wafers and to further improve the challenges of yield loss. One of the question-marks is also about the next generation of manufacturing platform. With the traction of larger wafer diameter, major wafer suppliers are also developing 8” wafers. As of 2022, there’s initial volume of 8” wafer for qualification. Additionally, innovative solutions are proposed to improve the quality, the through-put of the wafering process, and the new format of SiC wafers. In our report, we have identified the wafer manufacturing innovations that could change the wafer supply in the years to come.
We invite you to read our Power SiC 2022 report for comprehensive analyses of market dynamics, supply chain evolution, and the latest technology trends of various applications at wafer, epiwafer, and device levels.
ABB, Alstom, Ascatron, Aymont, Bombardier, BASiC Semiconductor, BorgWarner, Brückewell, BYD, Caly Technology, CETC, Cengol, Clas-SiC wafer fab, Wolfspeed, CRRC, Danfoss, Delphi, DENSO, DISCO, Epiworld, Episil, Foxconn, Fuji Electric, GE, GeneSiC, Global Power Device, Global Power Technology, GTAT, Hestia Power, Hitachi, II-VI, Infineon, IVCT, KISAB, Littlefuse, Microchip, Mitsubishi Electric, Norstel, onsemi, Panasonic, Philips, Powerex, Qorvo, RENESAS, ROHM, Samanic, Schneider Electric, Semikron, SemiQ, Senic, Shindengen, Showa Denko, SiCrystal, SICC, Siemens, SK Siltron css, SMA, Starpower STMicroelectronics, Sumitomo Metal Mining, Synlight, TankeBlue, Toshiba, Toyota, Vitesco, WeEn, X-Fab, Yaskawa, Zadient, and more.
- Deep understanding of SiC’s penetration in applications such as xEV, charging infrastructure, power supply, PV, UPS, motor drives, wind, and rail.
- Comprehensive analysis of the SiC supply chain.
- Description of the SiC power industrial landscape from materials to systems, as well as a discussion of the SiC power market’s dynamics.
- SiC power market value projections to 2027, including device split by device type, package type, and voltage; wafer and epiwafer, split by wafer size.
- SiC power industry roadmap and technology trends.
- Market forecast and trends to 2027
- Analysis of the business integration strategies of major players
- Roadmap of SiC technology in various applications
- Analysis of the demand and supply of SiC wafers
- Focus on CAPEX plans of key SiC players
- Company profiles of major players, new entrants, and innovative solutions in crystal growth, wafering process, and new business models
- Geographical development and backgrounds of SiC players in China
- Analysis of SiC module packaging, applied technologies, and trends
- To provide the market’s context and forecast to 2027:
- What are the key market drivers?
- What are the market value and volume?
- To review the SiC supply chain:
- Players and strategies applied in the supply chain
- Analysis regarding supply and demand of SiC wafers
- Significant events and latest trends of market players
- The focus of development in different regions
- Technology trends and status of currently available products:
- What technologies are being developed?
- Who has the technologies and products?
- To provide an overall view of the global SiC business, with special focus on emerging markets and innovations.
Table of contents
Objectives of the report
Companies cited in this report
About the Authors
What we got right, what we got wrong
Yole Group of companies related reports
Market forecasts: 2021-2027
- Power SiC device market ($M)
- Power SiC device market for electrified vehicle applications
- Power SiC device market for xEV charging infrastructure
- Power SiC device market for Photovoltaic applications
- Power SiC device market for PFC and power supply
- Power SiC device market for rail traction applications
- Power SiC device market for ups applications
- Power SiC device market for motor drive applications
- Power SiC device market for wind power applications
- Power SiC device market for other power applications
- Power SiC device market shares split by device type
- Power device market – SiC vs. Si vs. GaN
- Power SiC diode device bare die market
- Power SiC transistor device bare die market
- Power SiC device bare die market shares
- SiC diode bare die market split by voltage
- SiC transistor bare die market shares split by voltage
- SiC n-type substrates – average selling price (ASP) estimates
- SiC n-type substrate market size forecast (in units)
- SiC n-type substrate market forecast (units)
- SiC Open epiwafer market forecast ($m)
- Automotive and mobility applications
- Charging infrastructure applications
- Photovoltaic and energy storage system applications
- Power supply applications
- UPS applications
- Rail traction applications
- Motor drive applications
- Wind applications
- Other applications
- SiC Power application roadmap
Supply Chain analysis
- Overview of power SiC supply chain
- SiC n-type Wafer/boule capacity* forecast 6”-eq. per year
- Yole’s views on SiC wafer shortage concerns in the industry
- Analysis of auto-module players’ strategies
- Revenue estimates of SiC power device manufacturers
- Revenue estimates of n-type SiC substrate suppliers
- Market engagement of main device manufacturers
- Major SiC players continue with CAPEX
- Tesla’s engagement in SiC supply chain
- Entrants into SiC with new business model
- Major M&As and Partnerships in SiC
- Company profile: Wolfspeed
- Company profile: II-VI
- Company profile: ROHM
- Strategies of leading SiC device players in Yole’s understanding
- Company profile: GeneSiC Semiconductor
- Company profile: Senic
- Wafer innovation : Soitec
- Wafer innovation : Sumitomo Metal Mining
- Wafer innovation : DISCO KABRA system
- Wafer innovation: Infineon Cold Split Technology
- Wafer innovation: KISAB
- Mapping of key players in different geographic regions
- European SiC eco-system
- Focus on China
- Supply chain analysis and investments
- Regional development in China
- Strategic analysis of Chinese SiC business
- SiC wafering
Power SiC technology trends
- Key challenges of SiC from boule to chip
- Benchmarks for SiC, Si MOSFET and Si IGBT
- Process flow of different types of SiC devices
- Power SiC device technology
- SiC discrete and module packaging
- SiC module
- Power SiC devices – commercial status
- SiC wafer and epiwafer
- SiC device reliability status
Outlook – Power SiC: long-term evolution