Market and Technology Trends
Silicon MOSFET Market and Technology Trends 2021
By Yole Intelligence —
Silicon MOSFET market is expected to reach $9.4B by 2026. Chinese companies want to grow their market share by increasing investment and improving device performance.
Key features of the report:
- Assess the mark...
Scope of the report 5
Objectives of this report 6
About the authors 7
Companies cited in the report 8
What we got right, what we missed 9
Who should be interested in this report? 10
Three-page summary 12
Executive summary 16
Methodology and definitions 47
Market metrics and forecasts 58
- MOSFET wafer market
- MOSFET market in Munits, split by application
- MOSFET market in $M, split by application
- 2019-2020 MOSFET market comparison
- MOSFET market in $M, split by voltage
Application description and market trends by application 73
- Global market trends
- Market trends, split by application including consumer, computing, power supply, home appliances, EV/HEV, automotive, electric vehicle DC chargers, photovoltaics, UPS industrial, telecom and medical
- Market trends – split by product
- COVID-19 impact
MOSFET supply chain and players analysis 134
- MOSFET players business models
- Geographical locations of main MOSFET IDMs
- Geographical locations of main MOSFET players
- Geographical locations of main foundry companies
- Benchmarks of companies involved by voltage
- Where is the demand on new device voltage classes coming from?
- MOSFET players ranking in 2020
- Market shares for MOSFET manufacturers
- Estimation of main players ranking by voltage range
- Enlarging manufacturing capabilities
- Announcements, M&A and Partnerships
- IDM vs foundries
- Focus on China
Silicon MOSFET technology analysis 178
- MOSFET history and positioning
- Different silicon MOSFET structures
- Development roadmap
- MOSFET main characteristics and technology trends
- MOSFET manufacturing
- Silicon MOSFET for EV
- Silicon MOSFET for telecom and datacom
- Silicon MOSFET competition: WBG and IGBT
- MOSFET device packaging
Take away and outlook 254
How to use our data 259
THE SILICON MOSFET DEVICE MARKET WILL REACH $9.4B BY 2026, AT A 3.8% GROWTH RATE
Silicon MOSFETs are key components in a very wide range of low and mid-power applications. In 2020, the silicon MOSFET market was worth $7.5B. We expect a 3.8% Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) from 2020-2026, with most revenue coming from consumer and automotive markets. In general, 2021 has been an impressive year for MOSFETs with a huge recovery from COVID thanks to the high demand for computing and consumer electronics.
Today the consumer market contributes 37% of silicon MOSFET revenues, making it the largest sector. We expect this to fall in coming years due to lower end system demand after COVID-19 lockdowns, which have been very good for computing and consumer electronics, resulting in a $2.8B market by 2020. Automotive, including Electric Vehicles (EV), will boost the demand for silicon power MOSFETs due to increasing adoption of auxiliary systems and electrification. Auxiliary motor drives boost low voltage MOSFETs, while electrification boosts high voltage MOSFETs that are included in DC/DC converter or on-board charger systems. The two segments together are today 21% of the MOSFET market. They will increase to 32% by 2026.
Of course, MOSFETs play an important role in many any other applications. A detailed analysis of the silicon MOSFET market and technology trends by application can be found in this report.
SUPPLY CHAIN GETS READY FOR GROWTH
The silicon MOSFET market already involves both IDM and foundry business models in the supply chain. Many IDMs also use foundry services as second sources for silicon MOSFET components to handle demand fluctuations. However, as demand is expected to continue growing, different MOSFET manufacturers and some foundries are enlarging their manufacturing capacity by acquisitions or construction/expansion. And this is just the beginning! The full supply chain is getting ready for the large number of power semiconductors that are required to fulfill electrification needs.
Although 2021 has been a relatively good year for the silicon MOSFET market, there is still a big delay in delivery due to a limited manufacturing capability. This leads to an unfulfilled market that will still have delayed demand until 2022. This is because 200mm fabs are relatively full. It is also one of the main reasons why major MOSFET players are massively investing in manufacturing capabilities, including different components than silicon power MOSFETs. Infineon, onsemi and Alpha & Omega have already started MOSFET production in 300mm wafer-diameter capable lines, even if they are not running at full production. Many other players are preparing for capacity expansion.
Find more details about the supply chain in this report.
CHINESE COMPANIES RACE TO ENLARGE THEIR SILICON MOSFET MARKET SHARES
As detailed in the report, China accounts for 38% of silicon MOSFET sales. As well as growing demand for silicon MOSFETs for different applications, the Chinese government is pushing for domestic manufacturing. It is therefore not surprising that Chinese players are investing in manufacturing capabilities.
Foundries like HHGrace and CanSemi have invested in 300mm facilities to cope with higher production of MOSFETs and other power components and have started production in them. However, this is not the end of Chinese push for 300mm. SiEn is building a 300mm fab, as well as CRMicro and Nexperia. In fact, CRMicro recently raised money through an Initial Public Offering (IPO), and has already expanded its 200mm line. Other companies like Jiejie Microelectronics and SMIC are following the same pattern. All of them want to invest the money raised into manufacturing capacity.
However, it is not all about investments in manufacturing sites. Chinese companies are also gaining market share via acquisitions. Deals by Chinese-owned companies are not straightforward since the China-US trade war started. See for example the Nexperia–Newport, UK, Wafer Fab or Magnachip-Wise Road Capital acquisitions.
Chinese manufacturers are also investing in technology knowledge. If we look five years back, Chinese products were believed to be lower performance than EU, Japan, or US manufacturers for high-end components like super junction MOSFETs. However, this is changing. Some Chinese companies can actually achieve similar performances to key MOSFET players.
All in all, Chinese manufacturers are racing to capture a big portion of the MOSFET market. This report contains a deep analysis of the Chinese supply chain and product benchmarking.
Alpha & Omega Semiconductor, Amkor, ASMC, Bosch, Central Semiconductor, Comchip, CR Micro, Daco Semiconductor,, Diodes Incorporated, Episil, Global Wafers, HHGrace, Infineon, Littelfuse, Magnachip, Microchip, Macmic, NewPort Wafer Fab, Nexperia, Nuvoton, NXP, Okmetic, Onsemi, Panasonic, Powerchip, Renesas, Rohm, Sanken, Semipower, Shidengen, ShinEtsu, Sicamore, SiEn, Silan Microelectronics, Silterra, SMIC, ST Microelectronics, Sumco, Texas Instruments, Toshiba, Tower Semiconductor, Trinno, UTAC, Vanguard, Vincotech, Vishay, Vitelic and more.
Key features of the report:
- Assess the market for silicon MOSFET components, both discrete and modules
- Explain the market dynamics for different silicon MOSFET application
- Provide an overview of the different silicon MOSFET components used in power electronics
- Deliver a concise overview of the different applications driving the silicon MOSFET business and related system topologies
- Present data rankings for the silicon MOSFET industry leaders, describing supply chain consolidation, the latest M&A activity, and future trends across the player landscape. The Chinese supply chain, market and technology is also covered
- Focus on silicon MOSFET for EV/ HEV and telecom applications
Objectives of the report:
- Provide an overview of the entire power MOSFET market
- Analyze the main drivers for MOSFET device applications
- Provide market metrics and forecasts for MOSFET discrete devices
- Analyze the silicon MOSFET competition: SiC MOSFET, GaN HEMT and silicon IGBTs
- Provide the overview of the MOSFET supply chain, with the main players and their market shares as well as their product portfolio, with an additional focus on Chinese market
- Analyze how business models and supply-chains evolve
- Present main technological trends and ongoing development of MOSFET devices, dice, and package levels