Technology, Process and Cost Comparison
GaN Power Transistor Comparison 2023
By Yole SystemPlus —
Technology and cost comparison of 43 GaN HEMTs Transistors from worldwide players, covering the low and medium voltage range and dept analysis of 10 among them
- Detailed photos
- Precise measurements
- Materials analysis
- Manufacturing process flow
- Supply chain evaluation
- Manufacturing cost analysis
- Estimated selling price
- Exhaustive physical, technology, and manufacturing cost comparisons
- Compared to the 2022 report, there are 10 new GaN HEMTs from 8 GaN market players: STMicroelectronics, Texas Instruments, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, Nexperia, Cambridge GaN Devices, ROHM.
- Complete mapping of a total of 43 GaN HEMTs Transistors from worldwide players and a complete range of voltage classes.
- Provide a technology overview of GaN HEMTs from main market players: exhaustive roadmap of 43 GaN HEMTs from 14 worldwide GaN market players covering both the low voltage and medium voltage (600-1200V) range.
- Provide optical and scanning electron microscope (SEM) pictures from the device’s opened package, down to the microscopic level of transistor design and GaN epitaxy structure.
- Provide exhaustive physical, technology, and manufacturing cost comparisons of the analyzed devices.
- Physical analysis is only shown for the 10 newly added GaN HEMTs (for devices previously analyzed by Yole SystemPlus, please refer to the related reports previously published by Yole SystemPlus). Moreover, the physical and technological parameters of all 43 GaN Power Transistors are detailed in an Excel file.
Exhaustive Comparison Of Worldwide Players
Yole Intelligence GaN Power market 2022 report has shown the continued growth of the GaN power device market, as well as the adoption of these devices in various applications ranging from consumer electronics to automotive applications. According to Yole intelligence, the GaN power market is expected to reach $1.6 billion by the year 2027, and the adoption of GaN devices in various consumer fast-charging applications is driving the growth of this segment.
Power GaN device developments has continued with introduction of new generation of devices by existing players. There have been more focus on device integration by adding more functionalities on the GaN HEMTs die or by introduction of new other functional dies (diodes and ICs) in the packaged component. These design choices have considerable impact on the device footprint, functionalities and final cost of the component.
In this report, Yole SystemPlus presents an overview of the state-of-the-art of GaN power devices with detailed analysis of 10 newly added GaN HEMTs compared to the last report version in 2022. This includes devices from Cambridge GaN Device, Navitas, GaN Systems, ROHM, Nexperia, Transphorm, STMicroelectronics, and Texas Instruments.
The 10 devices are included in Yole SystemPlus’ exhaustive database of 43 Power GaN HEMTs from 14 main GaN market players. The main physical and electrical parameters of these devices are detailed in the Excel file.
This report provides optical and scanning electron microscope (SEM) pictures from the device’s opened package, down to the microscopic level of the transistor design – to highlight the package interior, design and active region of the device. The physical analysis is shown for the 10 newly-added GaN HEMTs – for devices previously analyzed by Yole SystemPlus, please refer to the related reports previously published by Yole SystemPlus. However, the physical and technological parameters of all 43 GaN HEMTs are detailed in an Excel file.
The estimated manufacturing cost of the newly added GaN devices and their selling prices are presented as well, along with physical, technological, and manufacturing cost comparisons between the analyzed devices.
Overview / Introduction
- Executive Summary
- Reverse Costing Methodology
Technology & Market
- Cambridge GaN Devices CGD65A130S2
- GaN Systems GS065018-2L
- Navitas NV6138A
- Nexperia GAN063-650WSAQ
- ROHM GNP1150TCA-Z
- ROHM GNP1070TC-ZE2
- STMicroelectronics SGT120R65AL
- Texas Instruments LMG2610RRGT (2 Dies)
- Transphorm TP65H050G4BS
- Physical Parameters (Epitaxy thickness, Gate Length, Gate – Drain Distance, Transistor Pitch)
- Electrical Parameters (Current Density vs Voltage, Figure of Merits)
Manufacturing Process Flow
- Supply Chain of analyzed devices
- Schematic of manufacturing process for STMicroelectronics, Transphorm and Texas Instruments.
- Yield Explanation
- Yield Synthesis
- Cost Analysis Assumptions
- Wafer Cost, Die Cost and Package Cost Breakdown
- Component Price Estimation
- Epi-wafer Cost Breakdown
- Total Wafer Cost Breakdown
- Die Ampere Cost
- Global Comparison – Component Cost
Yole Group corporate presentation