Market and Technology Trends
Power SiC 2023
By Yole Intelligence —
Anticipating the 8” era’s arrival, and boosted by $20B+ investment, SiC power devices market will reach $9B by 2028
ABB, Alstom, Ascatron, Aymont, Bombardier, BASiC Semiconductor, BorgWarner, Brückewell, BYD, Caly Technology, CETC, Cengol, Clas-SiC wafer fab, Coherent, CRRC, Delphi, DENSO, DISCO, EPi, EpiWorld, Episil, Foxconn, Fuji Electric, GE, GeneSiC, Global Power Device, Global Power Technology, GlobalWafers, GTAT, Hestia Power, Hitachi, Infineon, IVCT, KISAB, Littelfuse, Magna, Microchip, Mitsubishi Electric, Navitas, Norstel, onsemi, Panasonic, Philips, Powerex, Qorvo, Resonac, RENESAS, ROHM, Sanan IC, Schneider Electric, Semikron Danfoss, SemiQ, , SemiSiC, Senic, Shindengen, SiCrystal, SICC, Siemens, SK siltron css, SMA, Soitec, StarPower STMicroelectronics, Sumitomo Electric, Sumitomo Metal Mining, Synlight, TankeBlue, Tesla, Toshiba, Toyota, Vitesco, WeEn, Wolfspeed, X-Fab, Yaskawa, Zadient, ZF and more
Table of Contents
Objectives of the report
Companies Cited in this Report
About the Authors
What we got Right, What we got Wrong
Yole Group of Companies Related Reports
Market Forecasts: 2022-2028
- Power SiC device market ($M)
- Power SiC device market for electrified vehicle applications
- Power SiC device market for xEV charging infrastructure
- Power SiC device market for Photovoltaic applications
- Power SiC device market for PFC and power supply
- Power SiC device market for rail traction applications
- Power SiC device market for ups applications
- Power SiC device market for motor drive applications
- Power SiC device market for wind power applications
- Power SiC device market for other power applications
- Power SiC device market shares split by device type
- Power device market - SiC vs. Si vs. GaN
- Power SiC diode device bare die market
- Power SiC transistor device bare die market
- Power SiC device bare die market shares
- SiC diode bare die market split by voltage
- SiC transistor bare die market shares split by voltage
- SiC n-type substrates – average selling price (ASP) estimates
- SiC n-type substrate market size forecast (in units)
- SiC n-type substrate market forecast (units)
- SiC Open epiwafer market forecast ($m)
- Automotive and Mobility Applications
- Rail Traction Applications
- Charging Infrastructure Applications
- Photovoltaic and Energy Storage System Applications
- Wind Applications
- Power Supply and Motor Drive Applications
- UPS Applications
- Other Applications
- SiC Power Application Roadmap
- Overview in each application
Supply Chain Analysis
- Overview of Power SiC Supply Chain
- The next step of SiC – an example of Si history
- 8” SiC platform, the advantages and challenges
- SiC Wafer Supply between leading players
- Revenue Ranking of SiC Device Players
- Revenue Ranking of SiC Wafer Players
- Map of SiC Wafer players
- Major players’ billion revenue objective and their investments
- Notable acquisitions and partnerships in 2022-2023
- Focus on Partnerships Besides design-wins
- Market engagement of main device manufacturers
- Leading Players’ SiC Device Capacity
- Leading Players’ SiC Wafer Capacity
- The change of focus in the SiC supply chain bottleneck
- Who are converting Silicon CMOS lines to SiC?
- Evolution of SiC device business model, foundry players’ opportunity
- Evolution of SiC device business model, epiwafer players’ opportunity
- Company Profile – selection of this edition
- Sanan Opto and Sanan IC
- SK Inc and SK siltron css
- Focus on China
- Why Power SiC?
- Overview of Chinese supply chain
- 3 major regions and the status of development
- Investment and financing announcements
- SiC Wafer and device capacity of Chinese players
- Behind the wafer capacity expansion in China
- Geo-political risks analysis
- Supply chain management strategy China+1 in SiC
- Take-away – Power SiC in China
- Wafer and Epiwafer
- SiC Powder, Crystal Growth and Wafering process
- SiC Device
- Commercially available products
Conclusion and Outlook
xEV continues to propel Power SiC growth, and another billion-dollar market appears
The report provides a market forecast for 2023 to 2028. It includes an in-depth discussion on the Power SiC supply chain, end systems, topology, and technology trends at wafer, epiwafer, and device levels. It provides an understanding of the parameters used to describe the global market. The Power SiC device market will grow to nearly $9B in 2028.
Three markets are driving the growth of Power SiC. BEV represents the biggest market in terms of units and market value, and 800V EV is the sweet spot for SiC to gain growth momentum. The EV DC charger deployment forecast is in line with the rapidly growing xEV shipments. In particular, SiC fits exceptionally well in high-power modular chargers. This will be the next billion-dollar market for Power SiC. Concerning energy supply, it represents a hundreds-of-million-dollar market, considering the increasing number of installations in the 2022-28 timeframe.
Other applications include industrial power supplies, motor drives, rail, etc.
Notable M&A and partnerships to reshape Power SiC supply chain
As of 2023, the major trend in Power SiC is the move toward integrating the power module packaging business to increase revenue. IDM is the mainstream business model in Power SiC as of 2023, although based on two different wafer sourcing strategies. Some leading IDMs have vertically integrated wafer manufacturing to better control the entire processing flow, while others have decided to focus on the device level and not integrate SiC wafer activities internally.
Recently announced M&As and partnerships in Power SiC revealed the various strategic positions taken by each player. They involve capacity expansion, financing, securing wafer supply, gaining proximity to new markets, or ramping up new technologies.
8” SiC is coming with strategic options, yet challenges lying ahead.
As of 2023, 6” is the mainstream SiC wafer size for the leading players, and there are multiple capacity expansion plans based on this mature platform.
Wolfspeed is the only player producing even partially on the 8” platform, although multiple players have announced their intention to follow this strategic decision. Many players have demonstrated 8” samples and published innovative approaches to deal with all the challenges. However, 8” SiC remains more challenging in terms of cost, equipment lead time, yield, and, most importantly, availability of wafers. What are the challenges? How has each player reacted? And what is Yole’s analysis of the potential results in this dynamic and growing market?
At the device level, both planar and trench SiC transistors coexist on the market. They offer different benefits, and their use depends on each player's strategies and target applications.
- 2018-2028 forecast for Power SiC devices revenue(in $M), split by application and device type.
- 5-year forecast of Power SiC wafer market (in $M) and shipment (in units), split by application, wafer size and the corresponding ASP, and 5-year forecast of Power SiC open epiwafer market (in $M).
- Overview of supply chain and latest trends, with a specific focus on Chinese eco-system. And company profiles of 6 selected companies to show the latest trends in the supply chain.
- Overview the technology trends in Power SiC, from wafer to packaging levels.
- Forecast of Power SiC market until 2028, covering wafer, epiwafer and device.
- Analysis of demand and supply in Power SiC supply chain, regarding announced capacity expansion in the global scale.
- To provide context on the market and forecast in the 2018-2028 timeframe
- What are the key market drivers growing the SiC business?
- What are the SiC market values and volumes, by application and technology?
- To review the SiC supply chain
- Players and strategies at different levels of the supply chain
- Analysis on demand and supply of SiC wafers, special focus on capacity
- Significant events and latest trends of market players
- The developmental focus in different regions
- Technology trends and status of currently available products
- Selection of companies profiles with impactful technology, investment or strategies in Power SiC
- Who has the technology and products?
- To provide an overall view on the global SiC business with a special focus on emerging markets and innovation